Middlemore Almshouses: A Short History by Sydney A Leleux
The Middlemore Almshouses have been a feature of Stanton-by-Dale since 1711, having been built by the executors of Joseph Middlemore’s will. Over the years, the Trust set up at that time has added to their number and modernised them. The present seven dwellings stand in a quiet enclave in the shadow of the Parish Church. This book charts their establishment, and history to the present day.
The author lives ‘next door’ to the Almshouses and has often wondered about their history. He was pleased to be asked by the Trustees to write this book, which gave him the opportunity to satisfy his curiosity. He enjoyed the change in subject as he is better known for writing on railway matters.